Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve no doubt heard of alkaline water and the alkaline diet, both of which have been made popular by celebrities, professional athletes and A-listers from around the world. But what is it that makes alkaline water so different from bottled or filtered water?
Alkaline Water: The Ultimate Antioxidant
In a nutshell, alkaline water contains a much higher pH level and lower ORP (oxidation reduction potential) than bottled, filtered or tap water. The higher pH and lower ORP turn what looks like an ordinary glass of drinking water into an antioxidant superhero.
Antioxidants — which are commonly found in fruits, vegetables, coffee, tea, wine and chocolate — are considered the most powerful, all-natural anti-cancer tools because they can prevent or stop cell damage in its tracks and stabilize free radicals simply by inhibiting oxidation.
In general, water with a pH lower than 7 is considered acidic, whereas water with a high pH is considered alkaline. Due to its antioxidant properties, alkalized water can help neutralize acids and bring the body to a more balanced pH level, making it easier to fend off disease.
An alkaline diet is rich in antioxidants, which help to fight cancer cells and disease.
The idea that our bodies benefit from an alkaline (higher pH) environment originally came from 1931 Nobel prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg, who through scientific research proffered the idea that cancer cells are acidic, while healthy cells are alkaline.
Nearly 100 years later, Dr. Warburg’s research and ideas are still being studied today. And while many of Warburg’s findings and suggestions have been widely debated over the years, his original premise that alkaline foods hold the key to better health has been adopted by The American Institute for Cancer Research, which recommends a plant-based alkaline diet consisting of:
- at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day (at least 2-1/2 cups)
- choosing whole grains over refined/processed grains
- eating beans and legumes
- avoiding or limiting your consumption of meat, alcohol and sugar
Following these guidelines — while also adding alkaline water to your diet for an extra pH boost — can help to reduce your intake of acidic foods while increasing your intake of alkaline foods.
More Reasons to Consider Alkaline Water
If its disease-fighting antioxidant properties weren’t enough, alkaline water has also been credited with a host of additional health benefits, including the following:
- Reduces and Prevents Heartburn — Some studies have shown that drinking alkaline water 30 minutes before a meal neutralizes pepsin, the digestive enzyme that causes heartburn.
- Improves Heart Health — Alkalized water is high in magnesium, an important mineral that helps the body maintain a steady heartbeat and normal blood pressure.
- Aids in Bone Health — Alkaline water also contains calcium, which helps build strong bones. In addition, just drinking more water in general helps your bones to build more “shock absorber” cartilage, reducing stiffness and promoting ease of movement.
- Improves Energy and Endurance — As we’ve seen, alkaline water neutralizes the acid in your body, including lactic acid, the stuff that makes your muscles sore and can make you feel fatigued.
- Helps Your Body Detox — Several studies have indicated that people who drink alkaline water tend to excrete and expel heavy metals like mercury and fluoride more quickly.
- Enhances Weight Loss — Choosing to drink water (whether alkalized or not) rather than sugary sodas or sweetened beverages often helps people lose weight because of the reduced caloric intake.
Alkaline Water Machines
While it’s possible to make your own alkaline water at home, countertop alkaline water machines are much more convenient, plus they clean and filter out impurities as part of the water-making process.
In addition, alkaline water machines allows you to select a specific desired pH level, customized to your needs. For example, low pH (acidic) water is great for disinfecting and cleaning, whereas high pH (alkaline) water is better for drinking and cooking. With an alkaline water machine, you can choose the type of water you need with the push of a button.
Here at Apollo Chiropractic, we use and recommend the Kangen Water® Machine by Enagic. It’s easy to install and use, it’s quiet, it’s self-cleaning, and it doesn’t take up a great deal of countertop space.
If you’d like to try Kangen Water for yourself, please stop by our office for your free bag of water with unlimited refills.
Ready to buy your own? Apollo Chiropractic is proud to be an official Kangen Water Machine reseller. Call us or stop in during normal business hours and we’ll be happy to give you an in-person demo so you can try the machine out.